Daily fibre intake goal:
Males 19-fifty thirty eight g per day
Males 50+ thirty g per day
Females nineteen-50 twenty five g per day
Females fifty+ 21 g per day
Here are 10 switches you'll be able to build for the largest fibre impact.
|Fibre-less food||Grams of fibre per serving||Fibre-rich food||Grams of fibre per serving|
|Meat or poultry||0 g per 75 g or 2 ½ oz||Red kidney beans||12 g per ¾ cup|
|Chicken noodle soup||2 g per 1 cup||Lentil soup||12 g per 1 cup|
|Corn Flakes cereal||1 g per 1 cup (30g)||Fibre first/ bran buds
|12 g per 1/3 cup (30g)
5 g per 1 cup (30g)
|Chili con carne||4 g per 1 cup||Vegetarian chili||9 g per 1 cup|
|White pasta||3 g per 1 ½ cups cooked||Whole wheat pasta||8 g per 1 ½ cups cooked|
|Chocolate chip muffin||2 g per muffin||Raisin Bran muffin||5 g per muffin|
|Apple juice||0.1 g per ½ cup||Apple||3 g per apple with skin|
|White rice||0.8 g per 1 cup cooked||Brown rice||3 g per 1 cup cooked|
|Chips - regular||0.8 g per 10 chips (20 g)||Microwave popcorn||3 g per 2 ½ cups (20 g)|
|White bread||1 g per slice||100% whole-grain bread||2.2 g per slice|
Adding fibre to your diet will not mean that you have to administer up your favorite foods or amendment your lifestyle. Here are some easy ways that to include fibre into your diet.
- Choose a fibre-wealthy cereal. Choose a cereal that has a minimum of 4 g of fibre per serving.
- Add a high-fibre cereal to your regular cereal. Choose a cereal that has a minimum of 10 g of fibre per serving and sprinkle it on your regular cereal.
- Eat additional fruit. Have fruit for a snack or dessert and limit your intake of fruit juice. Don’t forget to eat the skin on fruits such as apples and pears. That is where most of the fibre is.
- Add yet one more vegetable to your diet today. Vegetables are low in calories and a sensible source of fibre and nutrition.
- Add beans or lentils to your tossed salad, spaghetti sauce or soups.
- Choose a hundred% whole-grain and a hundred% whole-wheat breads and pasta. The package ought to say 100percent whole grain, or 100percent whole wheat.
- Add 75 mL (¼ cup) of wheat bran, oat bran or ground flax to your baking.
- Use hummus or alternative bean dips for spreads on sandwiches instead of mustard and mayonnaise.
- Add dried fruit, nuts or seeds to cereal, salads or yogurt.
- Substitute 0.5 the white flour for whole wheat flour in your favourite recipes.
Remember to feature fibre to your diet slowly, a very little day by day, till you reach your daily fibre intake goal. Switching from a low to a high-fibre diet too quickly will cause constipation and cramps.
Make positive to drink water when you are increasing your fibre intake. Aim for 1 to two litres (six to 8 cups) per day.